Friday, July 10, 2009

Hybrid Setup

Most of the time I talk about "Hybrid", I'm referring to the fuzing of multiple genres of music. My band Zoyres is a hybrid of Eastern European music, jazz, improv, and uptempo styles. My solo drum style is a hybrid of electronic and acoustic styles.
However, I'm using the term hybrid today to talk briefly about my current drum setup. In response to noise issues, until I get my studio fully set up, I brought in a few of my V-Drums into my acoustic setup. I'm keeping it simple right now: acoustic bass drum and snare, 3 hi hats, 2 cymbals, and a V-drum bass drum, snare and hi hat. It allows me to play with headphones when I need to be quiet, but also bring in many different sounds and effects for playing. For example, I like to play some with a gated snare effect, or be able to shift the pitch of the snare with my hi hat pedal. The V-drums are also connected to a Roland monitor system with a subwoofer so that I can hear everything together live in the room.
The V-Drums also make for quick and easy informal recording, as I don't have mics setup on my kit yet.
Here's a phone picture of my current setup:














Word

No comments:

Post a Comment